Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More Books...

Ok, so I've decided, so as not to to completely bore anyone who might be regularly reading, to only post about books I REALLY enjoyed.  I'll add all to the "What I'm Reading" list to the right, but won't bother to post about all. If you see one on my list that interests you, feel free to comment somewhere and I'll let you know what I think!

Two books I did want to comment on were on a similar theme, interestingly enough, and No, I did not plan that when I chose them!  

The first is Better Off by Eric Brende.

In this book, the author shares his real life experiment of reducing technology use.  He and his wife move to a Amish-like community (he states several times in the book that they are not Amish) and begin to live a simpler life.  It was so easy to read, and so interesting for me, being from an Amish area, to hear his account of this life. He is not preachy or pushy that everyone should try to live in this way, but with their story, it almost makes me want to get rid of all that stuff and try it!  I love the ending and what they decide to do at the end of the experiment- not that it's an on-the-edge-of-your-seat ending but I wasn't sure what they were going to decide and don't want to spoil it for you!


The second book (which I read as an audio book- have I said before how I love audio books? They make those cleaning tasks so much more fun...) is Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living by Doug Fine.

In this book, the author also decides to change his lifestyle, though focusing on living without fossil fuels.  He buys a ranch and begins his quest through the use of solar power, the sun, and waste vegetable oil, to name a few! The author has a humorous style and I really was disappointed the book ended so quickly; I wanted to hear more!  He does lecture a bit at the end, but this is such a small part of the book, it's still worth a read! And I'm excited to find out he has a blog! :)  You can go to www.dougfine.com and read more from him after you finish the book!  And even better, I found out this is actually his second book, so now I'm crossing my fingers the library has the first one... 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment