Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Make your own Diswasher Detergent!

I recently found this recipe for dishwasher detergent from Flitterbugs. Now usually, I find a craft or a recipe online and it gets saved and stuck in a file til I finally find it a month or so later (many I've not even touched yet!). This one stayed front and center til I quickly got the stuff to try it out!  I LOVE saving money, so I was all for this one! It is super simple too and you can find everything at your local supermarket.  I don't have a picture but really wanted to share it!

I mixed all the following ingredients in a glass jar!  You'll need some white vinegar too, as a rinse agent.

1 cup Borax (this is a teal box called Mule Team Borax in the laundry soap aisle, I think)
1 cup washing soda (laundry aisle) or baking soda (I used baking soda since I couldn't seem to find the other)
1/2 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup citric acid (she recommended "Fresh Fruit" Produce Protector in the canning aisle, I used 15 packets of lemon kool aid, also mostly citric acid!)

This makes about 3 cups of detergent and you only need 1 TABLESPOON per load!  Put a little vinegar in your rinse compartment to help dishes from looking cloudy. 
She also suggests washing once a month with a bought detergent to keep your pipes from getting clogged- apparently Borax can do that. It is also in store bought detergents but according to her, they include an ingredient to prevent the clogging.
I've been using this for over a week now and my dishes are just as clean as before! Give it a try and save some money too!


No comments:

Post a Comment