Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Book Review: Sierra Jenson Vol 1

Sierra Jensen Collection, Vol 1 (Sierra Jensen Collection)Sierra Jensen Collection, Vol 1 by Robin Jones Gunn

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I chose this book from Waterbrook Multnomah Press thinking that my daughter might like to read it as she gets older.  I enjoy many youth and young adult books but had a very hard time with these 3 books. While I do appreciate the strong faith they demonstrate for young readers, as most of the characters are strong Christians despite their young ages, it really seemed much too unrealistic and almost silly. The dialogue seems very contrived to get across the author's "message" and so much of the stories seems so fake. The main character meets an older boy while returning from a missions trip to a new home her family moved to while she was away, and pines over him while adjusting to life in her new city.  The entire situation is strange, especially the part where she feels God telling her (at 16) to "fight for this boy" and when she tells her dad this, he encourages it!  Whose parent would encourage a 16 year old to go after a boy several years older that she met in an airport? All the interactions between the family members and most of the friends as well seems very fake and "too good to be true". I would think that perhaps an early pre-teen might enjoy these books, but I can't picture any girls much older than that enjoying them. 

I recieved an e-copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for review.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment